Hotel Licence (Liquor) - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you operate a premises where the primary purpose is to sell alcohol to the public for consumption on and off the premises. This licence is for a varity of venues, such as hotels and bars.

Your licence must include specific conditions if you intend to sell alcohol takeaway and for consumption off the premises. If you intend to run a bar that does not provide gaming or sell takeaway alcohol, then you can apply for a special type of hotel licence known as a general bar hotel licence.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • undergo a police check and provide the certificate (if you are applying as an individual)
  • be a fit and proper person for the purpose of the licence
  • ensure your premises and facilities meet standards and requirements specified under the Act
  • provide a copy of the local Council's development consent or approval for the premise (if required and approved)
  • provide a copy of the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) / Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) certificate or competency card (if you are applying as an individual)
  • provide any required information regarding the operation of gaming machines (if applicable)
  • provide an appointment of manager notice (If applicable)
  • provide a community impact statement
  • submit the application form
  • pay any required fees.

Please be aware that you can apply as an individual or a corporation. If you are applying as a corporation you must have an appointed manager that has been approved by the Authority. This is a separate application process.

All staff must attend any required training for the purposes of the licence as specified by the Agency, including a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course by a registered training organisation.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Remains in force until surrendered or cancelled.



Additional risk-based loadings (fees that reflect the level of risk posed by your venue and its operation) may apply.

Approval time

Applications will generally be assessed within five months of lodgement.

Additional information

New applications are subject to a community impact statement to ensure local stakeholders have the opportunity to voice any concerns.

You can apply for this licence as an individual or a corporation. You can apply for additional authorisations or changes to set conditions under this licence. For example, you can apply an extended trading authorisation. Please see the attached documents for information on additional authorisations that may be available.

Please be aware that there is a liquor licensing freeze that applies to certain types of liquor licences and trading authorisations for premises in prescribed freeze precincts in the City of Sydney local government area.

Administering agency

Department of Industry
Liquor and Gaming NSW

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 2007 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2008 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Liquor Applications
Department of Industry
Liquor and Gaming NSW

Operating address:
GPO BOX 7060
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Operating address:
Level 6
323 Castlereagh Street
Haymarket, New South Wales 2000


1300 024 720

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.