Notification of Dangerous Goods on Premises - New South Wales

Service summary

If you store, handle or process hazardous chemicals (dangerous goods) that exceed the quantities specified in the legislation, then you must notify the Authority. Hazardous chemicals include flammable liquids, skin corrosion and unstable explosives. Details of hazardous chemicals that require this notification are outlined in the associated document, or you can view them in the Regulation.

Notifying the Authority is crucial to the provision of an effective emergency response in the case of an emergency. For this reason, you are also required to develop a written emergency plan and lodge it to the relevant fire and rescue Agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this notification you must provide:

  • details about the type of site and who occupies the site
  • two emergency contacts
  • a list of each depot, storage or process location where there are hazardous chemicals
  • a site plan to identify the places, buildings and structures where there are hazardous chemicals.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Annual. In the case of security sensitive dangerous substances, notification is valid for 5 years.


Expires on 1 September each year.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.



You must include details and a sketch of your site and its location as well as details of which dangerous goods are to be held on the premises.

If the premises are in a rural fire district you must submit a written emergency plan and provide a copy to NSW Fire Brigades or the NSW Rural Fire Service. This plan must include your WorkCover dangerous goods notification number on the plan and has to be reviewed every five years.


Your application must be lodged at an Australia Post Office that has bill-pay facilities.

Administering agency

Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
SafeWork NSW

Act(s) name

Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries
Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
SafeWork NSW

Operating address:
92 - 100 Donnison Street
Gosford, New South Wales 2250
Mailing address:
Lisarow, New South Wales 2250


13 10 50


SafeWork NSW Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.