Development Consent / Complying Development Certificate - New South Wales

Service summary

Council approval is needed if you intend to undertake any form of development in New South Wales. This approval can be provided either through a Development Consent or a Complying Development Certificate, which cover a range of different activities and can include:

  • Changing the type of activity a building or piece of land is used for;
  • Subdividing land;
  • Undertaking building and construction work on public or private property (apart from public roads which are covered by a separate approval); and
  • The demolition of a building or work.

Your first action if you intend to undertake a development should be to contact your Council for a Planning Certificate. This document will contain important information about the piece of land or building, such as environmental, heritage or planning restrictions. This information will help guide you in designing your development proposal.

Council will also help you decide whether your proposal should be covered by a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Consent. New South Wales has streamlined its development process by listing certain development activities that can be approved under a Complying Development Certificate. Obtaining one of these Certificates provides a faster application process than a Development Consent. More complicated development proposals will require a Development Consent. The Council will assist you to correctly categorise your proposal.

If the development is approved under a Complying Development Certificate then the proposed work can commence. Once the work is complete Council will inspect the development to ensure that it has met all of the guidelines agreed to and grant you final approval with an Occupation Certificate.

If the proposal is approved under a Development Consent then Council will often provide a series of recommendations with the approval. Before the development work can start you will need to address these additional criteria and apply for a Construction Certificate. This Certificate allows you to actually begin the work on the development project. Once the work is complete Council will inspect the development to ensure that it has met all of the guidelines agreed to and grant you final approval with an Occupation Certificate.

Strathfield Council has launched eDA, a fully secure online development application lodgement and tracking service. eDA allows the tracking of DAs for the entire DA lifecycle from initial application lodging through to assessment.

Anyone with an internet connection can submit and then access their eDA at any time and can also complete supporting documentation required for complying development and construction certificates.

Customers can also log in from anywhere at any time to see how their application is progressing. At key milestone points, customers also receive email messages informing them of their applications progress.

Access to the tracking service is via the Council webite.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must provide details such as the exact location of the proposed development, building height, access driveways, emergency evacuation plans, floor space ratios and noise management plans.

If your proposal relates to a residential dwelling you will need to submit a Building Sustainability Index Certificate (BASIX) with your proposal. BASIX is a web-based planning tool designed to incorporate a range of environmentally sustainable features into your development project. If your development application that relates to residential apartment development you may require a statement by a qualified designer.

If the application relates to Designated Development, an Environmental Impact Statement is required. Designated Development refers to developments which are high impact developments or which are located in or near an environmentally sensitive area. Designated Development does not include State significant development.

Please be aware that if your proposed development is in bush fire prone land, you may require a bushfire attack level (BAL) risk assessment. Please contact your local rural fire service for details.

The Council may also impose specific conditions on individual Development Consents.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the consent or certificate.



Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.

Administering agency

Strathfield Municipal Council

Act(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries Officer
Strathfield Municipal Council

Operating address:
65 Homebush Road
NSW 2135
Mailing address:
PO BOX 120
Strathfield, New South Wales 2135


02 9748 9999


02 9764 1034

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.