Environment Protection Licence - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to undertake certain industrial, agricultural, transport, extractive or waste related activities that may impact upon the environment. If you intend to undertake any of the following types of activities you may require this licence:

  • Agricultural processing (for example: dairy, grape or general agricultural processing);
  • Aquaculture or mariculture (for example: the commercial production of marine, estuarine or freshwater organisms);
  • Brewing and distilling;
  • Cement or lime handling / production;
  • Ceramic works (for example: ceramic waste generation, ceramics production, and glass production);
  • Chemical production, storage or container reconditioning (for example, fertilisers, batteries, explosives, etc);
  • Coal works or mines;
  • Petroleum exploration, assessment and production;
  • Coke production (producing coke from coal);
  • Manufacturing compost;
  • Concrete works;
  • Contaminated soil or groundwater treatment;
  • Crushing, grinding or separating sand, gravel or assorted minerals;
  • Electricity generation;
  • Energy recovery (the recovery of energy from waste materials);
  • Operating a helicopter;
  • Extractive Activities (for example: mining);
  • Irrigated agriculture;
  • Livestock processing / intensive activities (for example: the farming, housing or processing of cows, sheep, pigs, poultry, etc);
  • Logging operations;
  • Wood or timber milling or processing;
  • Wood preservation;
  • Operate a marina or conduct boat repairs;
  • Metallurgical activities (for example: refinement or processing of minerals into metal products);
  • Mineral mining or processing;
  • Paper or pulp production;
  • Petroleum and fuel production;
  • Printing, packaging and visual communication activities that involves the use of hazardous substances;
  • Operating railway;
  • Shipping in bulk;
  • Road construction;
  • Sewage treatment;
  • Operating a wharf and the associated facilities that are used for the bulk loading and unloading of vessels dealing in agricultural products, minerals, etc;
  • Sterilisation activities (for example: using certain chemicals to sterilise products); and
  • Storing, treatment, transporting, processing or disposing of waste.

Please note that:

  • Different licences are issued for activities undertaken on premises and off premises; and
  • If there are additional activities that need to be undertaken to support one of the above activities, they may also need to be licensed.

As this licensing regime is complicated, please consult the Contact Officer for more information before submitting your application.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The requirements for this licence vary depending on the activity proposed to be undertaken. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


This licence remains in force until it is suspended, revoked or surrendered.



Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.



Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment
NSW Environment Protection Authority

Act(s) name

Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Protection of the Environment Operations (General) Regulation 2009 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Head Office
Department of Planning and Environment
NSW Environment Protection Authority

Mailing address:
Sydney South, New South Wales 1232


13 15 55


02 9995 5555


02 9995 5999

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.