Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence - New South Wales

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to load more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms of dangerous goods into a road vehicle. Examples of vehicles are trailers, rigid vehicle, B-double trailer or a road-train trailer.

Dangerous goods are substances or articles that present an immediate hazard to people, property or the environment. This includes explosives, gases, flammable liquids and radioactive substances.

This licence is not required for the transport of up to 3000 litres of dangerous goods in intermediate bulk containers (IBC) if the IBCs are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a vehicle licence you must:

  • Complete the application form;
  • Provide the required information about the vehicle you intend to transport dangerous goods in;
  • Advise the class or classes of dangerous goods to be carried;
  • Hold an insurance policy for the vehicle to cover clean-up and emergency services costs incurred in response to, and recovery of, any vehicle(s) and/or goods involved in a dangerous goods incident;
  • Pay the licence application fee; and
  • Provide a rear 3/4 image of the vehicle showing the number plate and vehicle type.

For tank vehicles you must also provide:

  • The date of the last hydrostatic test carried out on the vehicle (if applicable); and
  • An image of the tank compliance plate showing a valid design approval number and the tank serial number.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements


Valid for one year and is nationally recognised.



Fee per vehicle.


Fee per vehicle.

VaryVariation$87.00Fee per additional vehicle.

Please be aware that a credit card payment fee will apply.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment
NSW Environment Protection Authority

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Road and Rail Transport) Act 2008 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Road and Rail Transport) Regulation 2014 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries, Chemicals and Radiation Licensing Unit
Department of Planning and Environment
NSW Environment Protection Authority

Operating address:
59 Goulburn St
New South Wales 2000
Mailing address:
Sydney South, New South Wales 1232


13 15 55


02 9995 5555


02 9995 6603

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.