Operate a Business or Undertake a Commercial Activity on Reserved Land - New South Wales

Service summary

If you intend to operate a business or undertake a commercial activity on reserved land, you will require consent from the Agency. Reserved land is any land reserved under the Act as a national park, historic site, state conservation area, Regional Park, karst conservation reserve, nature reserve or an Aboriginal area.

You can apply to the Agency for permission to operate a particular business or commercial activity including to:

  • Operate accommodation facilities such as historical homesteads, cabins, lighthouses and camping grounds or caravan parks;
  • Operate restaurants, kiosks or cafes;
  • Conduct commercial tour operations; or
  • Undertake commercial filming and photography.

Please be aware that you may also require an agreement in the form of a lease, licence, permit, consent, franchise or easement (for example for power or water supply services) to operate your business or undertake your commercial activity. This will allow any of the following:

  • The exclusive use of the land, buildings and structures;
  • The erection of a new building or structure; or
  • Modification of an existing building or structure.

Please see the attached document for examples of the types of activities that will require this approval.

All commercial opportunities are advertised on the NSW Government tenders website.

The Regulation allows for certain activities to be conducted in a park with the consent of the Agency. Activities include, but are not limited to:

  • Camping and residing in areas not set aside for that purpose;
  • Lighting fires;
  • Carry a firearm;
  • Sporting and recreational activities (for example, organise a sporting competition, a concert or bungy humping); and
  • Research.

Please consult the Contact Officer in the first instance to determine if your activity will require approval.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Planning and Environment
Office of Environment and Heritage

Act(s) name

National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (New South Wales)

Regulation(s) name

National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009 (New South Wales)

Contact details

Enquiries, Head Office
Department of Planning and Environment
Office of Environment and Heritage

Operating address:
Level 14
59 Goulburn Street
New South Wales 2000
Mailing address:
PO Box A290
Sydney South,New South Wales,




02 99955000


02 99955999

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.