Licence to sell explosives - Queensland

Service summary

A licence to sell explosives is required for you to:

  • buy and sell certain explosives
  • store certain amounts of the explosives at a designated location.

It is not required in the following circumstances:

  • for Commonwealth explosives such as Department of Defence
  • for the following explosives:


  • an explosive sold by the chief inspector under section 110 Explosives Regulation 2001
  • collectors ammunition sold by a prescribed ammunition collector.
  1. an unrestricted firework
  2. an explosive designed to activate an air bag, seat belt, fire extinguisher or parachute
  3. a distress signal
  4. a power device cartridge
  5. small arms ammunition sold by a person who is a licensed firearms dealer under the Weapons Act 1990
  6. an explosive sold by a person (a "service provider") authorised to use the explosive if the service povider uses the explosive in the course of providing a service to another person; and
  7. the person to whom explosive is sold does not possess the explosive at any time:
    1. a blasting explosive used by the holder of a shotfirer licence in providing a blasting service to another person.
    2. a firework used by the holder of a fireworks operator licence for a fireworks display.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms

  1. a substance or a thing containing a substance, manufactured or used with a view to produce
    1. a practical effect by explosion; or
    2. a pyrotechnic effect; and
  2. a substance or thing declared under a regulation to be an explosive.

Examples of explosives: ammunition, detonators, gunpowder, nitroglycerine, pyrotechnics (including fireworks).

Eligibility requirements

You must:

  • be an adult
  • be able to read and understand the English language to the satisfaction of the Chief Inspector
  • be authorised to store explosives at the place of sale

The local council may have related requirements which must be met.


This licence is effective for a period of 1 year or 5 years from the date of approval.


Refer to Applying for a licence to sell explosives in other resources below.

Note: additional security fees will apply for new individual applicants including owners, directors, office bearers or any person having an interest in a corporation.


You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the Inspector of Explosives at the Department's nearest regional office.

This licence may be applied for by a person (person is defined as an individual or corporation (public company, private company, club, association, government agency or partnership).

Prior to completing the application, the applicant must decide whether to apply as an individual or a corporation.

If an individual is a person having an interest in a corporation and the corporation is the separate legal entity responsible for the intended explosives operations and activities, the individual must apply using the corporate licence application form. An individual who does not have an interest in a corporation would apply using the individual licence application form.

A corporation applying for this licence must:

  1. nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and
  2. if non-publicly listed company, provide completed security assessment applications and pay the relevant fees for each person having an interest in the company.

The required items section of the application form outlines all prerequisite licensing requirements.

The following may also be required before your application is approved:

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant under S15 (8)(c) of the Explosives Act 1999
  • the applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form
  • an inspector may require an inspection of the storage magazine, procedures and controls and the premises from which the sale is conducted
  • the selling activity cannot commence until the licence is issued.

Transfer details

S20 of the Explosives Act 1999 allows the transfer of this licence only with the prior approval of the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

The application to transfer is considered on a case by case basis.

You may apply to transfer the licence by contacting Explosives Licensing.

Each transfer is assessed and reviewed on a case by case basis by the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

The applicant should contact the Explosives Inspectorate licensing officer to obtain information on how to apply for a transfer.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Service Delivery
Explosives Inspectorate

Act(s) name

Explosives Act 1999 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Explosives Regulation 2003 (Queensland)

Contact details

Manager, Explosives Licensing
Department of Natural Resources and Mines
Service Delivery
Explosives Inspectorate

Operating address:
Level 16
61 Mary Street
Mailing address:
PO Box 15216
Queensland 4002


07 3199 8023


07 3224 7768


Explosives Inspectorate contacts Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.