Commercial macropod harvester licence - Queensland

Service summary

You need this licence to harvest macropods to sell.  The macropods which may be harvested in Queensland are the Eastern grey kangaroo (Macropus giganteus), red kangaroo (Macropus rufus) and wallaroo (Macropus robustus).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Definition of terms


to take by means of shooting.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 17 years of age
  • have completed a Firearms Competency Certification (Firearms Accuracy Course) within 12 months of the date of application, or be licensed as a commercial macropod harvester in the previous harvest period
  • have completed the Commercial Wildlife Harvest TAFE course required by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection.

Ongoing requirements

You can begin harvesting when the harvest period begins and you have received your licence and tags.

You must carry the following when conducting activities under your licence:

  • your commercial macropod harvesting licence
  • landholder consent forms - you must get and carry the landholder's written consent before harvesting on their land
  • 'Record and return of operations book' - if you are a new applicant, you will need to purchase this book
  • photo identification such as drivers licence.

You must also:

You must accurately record harvest details in the record and return book and returns must be given to EHP within 14 days after each month.  If you did not harvest any macropods in a month, you must make a nil return.


This licence remains in effect until the end of a harvest period or 31 December of the same year unless revoked, suspended or surrendered prior to 31 December of that year.



Licence fee on and from 1 January 2016


500 skin or carcass tags for 2016 season


Return and record of operations book


50 skin or carcass tags for 2016 season


You must submit your application and documentation in person or by post to the Macropod Management Unit, Charleville District Office.  Faxed or emailled applications will not be accepted.

Transfer details

This licence cannot be transferred.  The record and return book also cannot be transferred.

Additional information

This licence can only be issued to an individual, not a corporation.

You cannot harvest macropods in protected areas such as national parks, state forests or public roads.

Visit Information for harvesters to find out about tags and how to get them.

Administering agency

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Environmental Services and Regulation
Southern Region Environmental Services

Act(s) name

Nature Conservation Act 1992 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Nature Conservation (Administration) Regulation 2006 (Queensland)

Nature Conservation ( Wildlife) Regulation 2006 (Queensland)

Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 (Queensland)

Nature Conservation (Macropod) Conservation Plan 2005 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Macropod Management Unit
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Environmental Services and Regulation
Southern Region Environmental Services

Operating address:
Hood Street
Charleville, Queensland 4470
Mailing address:
PO Box 689
Charleville, Queensland 4470


07 4654 4276

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.