Home based business/occupations (Banana) - Queensland

Service summary

Council plans establish minimum requirements for the operation of businesses from a residential property. As a general rule home occupations or home industries require approval in accordance with councils planning scheme, under the Integrated Planning Act 1997.

You should contact council to determine the approval type necessary.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Contact council to determine applicable fees.


You can obtain this approval by completing an application for Development permit and the appropriate fee.

Application forms are available from council.

The applicant should consult council, and may be required to undertake a public notification and, if a development permit is granted, the applicant has to comply with any conditions imposed by council.

Additional information

Applicants should consult council and comply with various planning scheme codes, notably the Home Based Business code.

Administering agency

Banana Shire Council

Contact details

Banana Shire Council

Operating address:
Shire Chambers
62 Valentine Plains Road
Biloela, Queensland 4715
Mailing address:
PO Box 412
Queensland 4715


07 4992 9500


07 4992 3493

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.