Dangerous Goods Driver Licence - Queensland

Service summary

A driver must be the holder of a current Dangerous Goods Driver Licence when they are transporting dangerous goods by road in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms.

A licence is not required when the dangerous goods are in an Intermediate Bulk Container (IBC), and the IBC is not packed or unpacked on the vehicle and the total capacity of the IBC is not more than 3000 litres.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You are required to:
  • be a Queensland resident
  • hold a current Queensland open driver's licence (or current Queensland probationary or restricted Driver licence where the licence holder has previously held an open driver licence).
  • have a medical certificate issued within the six months immediately prior to applying (the medical certificate must be completed by a qualified medical practitioner in accordance with the current Assessing Fitness to Drive, Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers publication)
  • have successfully completed an approved 'Dangerous goods driver licence' training course not more than six months immediately prior to applying
  • have an acceptable criminal and traffic history
  • pay a fee.


You cannot transfer this licence.


A Dangerous Goods Driver Licence is issued for a period of 3 years.



Dangerous Goods Driver Licence


CrimTrac fee


Dangerous Goods Driver Licence


CrimTrac Fee Renewal


You can obtain this licence online or by completing the approved form 'Dangerous goods driver licence application' (F4486), paying the prescribed fee and submitting it, with other documents listed below, to a transport and motoring service centre or lodge it online at www.tmr.qld.gov.au (new applications only).

The following documents must also be submitted with the application:

  • a current Queensland open driver licence (or current Queensland Probationary or restricted driver licence where the licence holder has previously held an open driver licence);
  • Medical certificate for motor vehicle driver (Form 3712) or Truck Safe medical, issued within the six months prior to the date of application; and
  • training certificate issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), advising that you have successfully completed the Dangerous goods driver licence course. (You must have completed this course within 6 months prior to the date of application).

A list of RTO's authorised to provide the dangerous goods driver licence course can be found online at www.tmr.qld.gov.au.

A national criminal and traffic history check is performed on each applicant.

Additional information

You must notify Department of Transport and Main Roads or one of its authorised agents within 14 days if you:

  • change your name or address;
  • develop a medical condition which may affect your ability to drive safely, (including the requirement to wear spectacles/lenses while driving).

You can obtain additional information about transporting dangerous goods on the Business Queensland website.

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division
Transport Regulation Branch

Act(s) name

Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Dangerous Goods) Regulation 2008 (Queensland)

Contact details

Transport and motoring customer service centres


13 23 80

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.