Registration of Recreational Motor Boats - South Australia

Service summary

All recreational vessels that have a motor fitted must be registered while underway.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.




The registration fee for a Recreational Vessel will depend on the Hull Type and length of the vessel and whether it is an initial registration, a new owner re-registration or a renewal of the registration in the same name. For details, refer to the fee schedule found at:

Cash, Cheque or Credit Card (MasterCard or Visa).

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Transport Services Division
Transport Safety Regulation

Act(s) name

Harbors & Navigation Act 1993 (South Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Harbors & Navigation Regulations 2009 (South Australia)

Contact details

Front Desk

Service SA has 20 Customer Service Centres throughout South Australia that deliver Registration and Licensing services, open for business Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm. Limited services are also available through 9 Service SA Rural Agents. These offices are managed on behalf of Service SA by local or District Council or other Government Agencies.

Locations can be found at:

Customer Service Centres, Service Agents; Rural Agents:

Operating address:
Customer Service Centre



Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.