Approval to Operate an Accommodation Sharing Business - Tasmania

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to participate in the sharing economy by renting your home, shack or investment property (such as through AirBnB).

Approval, planning and building requirements vary depending on which of the following categories the property you are renting falls in to:

  • your own home with up to four bookable rooms - no permit required
  • your own home with more than four bookable rooms and investment properties or shacks up to 300 square metres - permitted use, lodge standard form with your local council
  • investment properties or shacks greater than 300 square metres - approval required, apply to your local council.

There are minimum standards for occupancy levels, plumbing and toilets, fire safety, off street parking, bushfire planning and heritage provisions which must be adhered to and may vary between councils.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.

Administering agency

Contact the Local Council

Act(s) name

Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 (Tasmania)

Contact details

Customer Service
Contact the Local Council


Find your council online Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.