You will require this licence if you intend to keep wildlife for the purpose of exhibition or display (short-term or long-term) to the public. Wildlife includes Tasmanian protected animals and various species of imported animals. A list of wildlife can be obtained from the Agency.
Strict legislation and guidelines apply to the issuing of this licence. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence, you must satisfy the Agency that you are willing and able to comply with the relevant legislation and any accompanying Agency guidelines. The Agency may issue a wildlife exhibition licence to you if they are satisfied that:
- The place where the exhibition will be kept is suitable for the purpose;
- The facilities and services that will be available for the care and treatment of the wildlife are satisfactory;
- The nature and construction of buildings and cages erected are suitable for that purpose;
- It is unlikely that wildlife will escape from that place; and
- You will abide by the reporting guidelines with respect to the exhibition, movement, keeping of certain species, release or sale, feeding and shelter of, the wildlife involved.
In the case of an application for the licence by:
- A body corporate, every director of the body corporate is a fit and proper person to be a director of a body corporate that keeps a wildlife exhibition and is otherwise of good character; or
- Individuals, the individuals are fit and proper persons to keep a wildlife exhibition and is otherwise of good character.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Application for a Wildlife Exhibition Licence - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.
Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
Natural and Cultural Heritage
Wildlife Management Branch
Nature Conservation Act 2002 (Tasmania)
Wildlife (Exhibited Animals) Regulations 2010 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon