You will require this registration if you intend to teach in a public or private school or educational institution in Tasmania. There are two main registration types for Tasmanian teachers:
- Teacher Registration (must have an approved teaching qualification comprising a minimum of 4 years higher education or study); or
- Specialist Vocational Educational and Training Registration (must have Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or its equivalent, plus Certificate III level industry qualifications).
Applications are assessed by the Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania and this body determines the registration type and category granted to an applicant. Please note that from 1 January 2017 all teachers, including new applicants, will be required to hold a Registration to Work with Vulnerable People.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for full or provisional registration, you must:
- Have contributed to educational practice and have the education and experience that, in the opinion of the Board, are sufficient to warrant registration;
- Have complied with any requirements of the Board during any period of provisional registration;
- Be of good character;
- Be able to communicate at a professional level in the English language;
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or hold permanent residency status in Australia, or hold a visa to work in Australia;
- Be willing to undergo continuing professional development;
- Submit to a Police Check; and
- Pay the relevant application fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Full or provisional registration does not exceed five years.
31 December of the year specified in the registration.
Online Application for Teacher Registration in Tasmania - Please follow the steps outlined on the website to submit your application.
Lodgements are made electronically through the TRB online portal.
Department of Education
Teachers Registration Board
Teachers Registration Act 2000 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon