This registration is required by any person or body that intends to operate a school or a campus of a school that provides educational instruction up to and including the final year of secondary education. You may apply for one or more types of registration, including:
- primary education for any specified ages
- secondary education for any specified ages
- distance education
- education of a specified kind
- education for children of a specified kind.
You must apply for registration at least 9 months before the date you intend to commence operation of your registered school.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for registration, you must provide a Statement of Curriculum, which should demonstrate:
- the general philosophical and educational frameworks specific to the ethos of your school
- the structure of the teaching and learning program
- the planned scope, sequence and continuity of the curriculum
- the manner in which equity issues will be addressed (including details of student welfare policies and practices).
Additionally you must be able to:
- demonstrate that the space, facilities, apparatus and materials to be used are acceptable and appropriate and ensure the safety of persons using the facilities
- provide details regarding the kinds of students that will attend
- provide a statement of financial viability and a statement describing management and operations structures
- provide a process for dealing with grievances
- pay relevant application fees.
A school that is based around the principles and practices of a religion may apply to Anti-Discrimination Commissioner for an exemption on the number of students admitted in a specified year or into a specified year level.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
As specified on the registration certificate.
Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
Please consult directly with the Agency for full details on the application process.
No later than 9 months before the intended opening date of the school.
Department of Education
Schools Registration Board
Education Act 2016 (Tasmania)
Education Regulations 2015 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon