You will require this licence if you intend to perform electrical work. Electrical work includes (but is not limited to):
- Installation, repair, alteration or removal of an electrical infrastructure, electrical circuit or associated fittings, equipment or accessories; or
- Work that is regarded as specialist electrical work.
You may either obtain a full practitioner's licence or a provisional licence. A provisional licence can be granted if you:
- Hold an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate as an electrician, electrical mechanic or electrical fitter issued by Trades Recognition Australia recognising the applicant as an electrician;
- Hold an Off-Shore Technical Skills Record Certificate as a general electrician issued by an organisation approved by the Australian Government; or
- Have made significant progress towards being qualified as an electrician and will achieve that qualification in the next twelve months.
A provisional electrician's licence is issued for a period not exceeding 12 months, and requires that all electrical work done is under the supervision of a licensed electrical technician.
If you intend to enter into a contract to perform electrical work, you will require an Electrical Contractor's Licence.
Please note that some exemptions may apply if you work under a network owner or contractor. The network owner or contractor you work for will need to ensure you comply with certain conditions (such as completion of the requisite training). Exemptions are also available for a trade's assistant.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Complete the required training, including practical training, or hold an equivalent licence in a reciprocating jurisdiction;
- Be a fit and proper person;
- Submit the required form; and
- Pay the required fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
|Licence||$321.30||Triennial fee for restricted electrical practitioner.
|Licence||$229.50||Provisional or provisional restricted practitioners licence.
Please lodge your form, fee, and any associated documents directly with the Agency. You will need to attach to your form evidence of your completed electrical training / qualifications. Please send photocopies of documents, not originals.
Within 21 days, unless otherwise agreed.
Department of Justice
Consumer Building and Occupational Services
Occupational Licensing Act 2005 (Tasmania)
Occupational Licensing (Electrical Work) Regulations 2008 (Tasmania)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon