Licence to Transport Explosives - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to transport explosives by road, boat or rail. Different requirements apply to road, rail and sea transport. Each road vehicle used must be licensed, and the driver must hold an explosives vehicle driver licence.

Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.

A licence is not required to transport small quantities of explosives or fireworks (an amount below the prescribed maximum quantity) if you either:

  • hold a licence to sell explosives
  • hold a licence to use blasting explosives
  • hold a licence to use fireworks
  • are transporting hazard or distress signals or emergency systems or devices
  • are transporting consumer fireworks for your own use
  • will be transporting the explosives over private property only, and not by road.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old if you are applying as an individual
  • provide proof of identification
  • know the conditions and requirements of the licence
  • provide any documentation and information required by the Agency
  • pay the required application fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

You must not transport explosives unless they are packaged and marked in accordance with the Australian Explosives Code.

If you are transporting explosives by boat in a quantity greater than the maximum quantity prescribed in the regulations, you must notify the responsible Agency at least 21 days prior to doing so.


Up to 5 years.



Per road vehicle. Fees for 2016-17.


Transport by rail. Fees for 2016-17.


Amendment of rail licence. Fees for 2016-17.


Amendment of road vehicle licence. Fees for 2016-17.



Please ensure you include all the required documentation with your application, as detailed on the application documents.



Please lodge your application and associated documentation directly with the Licensing Branch at WorkSafe Victoria.

Approval time

Within 30 days

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1555


1800 136 089

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.