Permit to Place Signs - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to erect, place or remove an advertising sign, banner or notice on a building, road or footpath. For example, approval may be required for the placement of A-frame sandwich boards, business signage on a building, temporary or movable / mobile signs. Signs also include banners or flag-like materials and signs affixed to buildings, fences, trees and other council property.

Approval may also be required for the use of commercial signage mounted on vehicles and / or trailers. It is recommended that you contact your local council prior to erecting, placing or affixing any type of signage

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you must comply with the following:

  • Public liability insurance policy is required, with a cover of no less than $5 million per claim;
  • Fixed signs must comply with planning regulations before a permit can be issued;
  • Portable signs (such as A-frames) are to be removed at the close of trade each day'
  • Real estate signage may be placed out on the morning of 'Open House' or 'Auction' but must be removed upon completion of the activity;
  • Signs attached to buildings on council or private property must comply with planning and building regulations;
  • Signs are not to be placed on centre nature strips or roads; and
  • Signs are not to obstruct or endanger pedestrians or traffic.

Signage must be no bigger than:

  • 900 mm high;
  • 600 mm wide; and
  • 500mm deep (when board is extended).


As specified on the permit.



Administration fee for community sign. Fees for 2016-17.


Advertising sign. Fees for 2016-17.


Advertising signs. Short term, per day, maximum of seven days. Fees for 2016-17.


Sign and new pole for community sign. Fees for 2016-17.


Sign on existing pole for community sign. Fees for 2016-17.

Other resources

Administering agency

City of Greater Dandenong

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Road Management and Asset Protection Local Law 3 2011

Municipal Places Local Law 4 2011

Contact details

Local Laws
City of Greater Dandenong

Operating address:
225 Lonsdale Street
Dandenong, Victoria 3175
Mailing address:
PO BOX 200
Dandenong, Victoria 3175

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.