Licence or Lease for Non-Agricultural Purposes - Victoria

Service summary

You may require a licence or lease if you intend to use or access unreserved crown land. About one third of Victoria is public land (crown land) set aside for a range of public purposes. There are also large areas of unreserved crown land. Unreserved crown land may be available for private commercial or industrial purposes (other than agriculture).

The normal term of a lease is twenty-one years. In some special circumstances, leases can be granted for longer periods, including up to ninety-nine years for commercial or industrial purposes involving improvements likely to be of substantial nature and value.

Your activities will need to comply with relevant local planning schemes, and you may be required to obtain planning approval. The agency will not grant a lease or licence until you have obtained planning approval (if required).

Examples of commercial or industrial purposes include:

  • constructing electric lines
  • gravel extraction
  • water storage
  • use of machinery or power tools
  • taking stone, sand or gravel.

Unreserved crown land may periodically be made available to lease by auction or public tender.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a licence or lease you must:

  • Apply using the prescribed form;
  • Provide any information or documentation required by the agency;
  • Submit to all planning and application processes; and
  • Pay the prescribed fee.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

You may be required to pay rent.


The term of a licence or lease will depend on the activity to be conducted.



A range of application and processing fees may apply. Ongoing rates and rental costs will vary depending on the purpose of the licence or lease. If the land is to be used for a commercial purpose the rent will be based on market rates determined by a valuation having regard to comparable commercial rental in the private sector. Rent is reviewed and adjusted to market rates every three years.



Application for a Licence or Lease for Non-Agricultural Purposes - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.



Please lodge your application and all accompanying documentation directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Land Management Policy Division

Act(s) name

Land Act 1958 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Land Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Contact details

Information Officer
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Land Management Policy Division

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
Melbourne, Victoria 3002


03 9637 9680


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.