You will require this approval if you organise a sports event and you intend to arrange for a betting service to be offered on the event.
It is illegal for a sports betting provider to offer a betting service on a sports event unless the provider has an agreement with the approved sports controlling body for the event.
The agreement must provide for the sharing of information to ensure integrity in sports and sports betting, state if a fee is payable by the sports provider to the Sports Controlling Body in respect of the event and specify the amount of the fee or how it is to be calculated.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To apply for approval, you must:
- apply using the approved form
- specify the sporting event for which you are seeking approval
- provide any accompanying information which the Agency requires
- pay the prescribed fee
- publish a notice containing information specified by the agency in a newspaper circulating throughout Australia within 14 days of applying.
Approval is at the discretion of the agency. When deciding whether to grant approval, the agency will consider a range of matters, including:
- whether the applicant controls, organises or administers the event
- whether the applicant has adequate policies, rules, codes of conduct or other mechanisms designed to ensure the integrity of the event
- the applicant's compliance with relevant international codes and conventions applicable to the event that relate to integrity in sport
- the applicant's expertise, resources and authority to maintain integrity systems
- the applicant's policies on providing information relevant to the betting market
- the applicant's processes for reporting the results of the event, hearing appeals and protests regarding the results
- the applicant's policies on sharing information with sports betting providers for the purposes of investigating suspicious betting activity
- whether granting approval is in the public interest.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Remains in force until revoked.
Fees for 2016-17.
Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.
Within 14 days after making an application you must make a publication in a newspaper circulating generally in Australia, a notice providing opportunity for objections to approval, and any other information required by the Authority.
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (Victoria)
Gambling Regulations 2015 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon