Approval for a Home Based Business - Victoria

Service summary

You may need this approval if you intend to use your home as a base or the main place of activity for your business. It allows low volume occupations or trades to be situated in a residential environment. There are a variety of restrictions for a home-based business, these include:

  • the number of employees
  • operating times
  • car parking
  • odours
  • limitations of sale-able goods
  • noise limits
  • storage of goods.

Despite the above restrictions, approval may be granted for a home occupation which:

  • allows no more than two people who do not live in the dwelling to work in the business
  • has a floor area not exceeding 100 square metres or one-third of the gross floor area of the dwelling (whichever is lesser)
  • allows no more than one commercial vehicle not exceeding two tonne capacity, with or without a trailer registered to a resident of the dwelling at any one time.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Eligibility requirements

There should be no more than one employee on site that does not reside within the home. You may need to apply for a planning or building permit if you do not meet all the requirements of the Home Occupation Guidelines or if you are planning on making structural changes to your home.

If you are planning on conducting a Health based business from your home, you are required to contact council's Health Department to discuss the requirements for registration or notification. A council Health inspector will need to visit the premises to ensure all requirements have been met. This will need to take place before your business becomes operational.

You must also consider the impact of your home business will have on your neighbours and surrounding areas.

Other resources

Apply Small Business Information Opens in a new browser window

Additional information

If more than one worker of your home business is not a resident of the dwelling, you will need to apply to the council for a Planning Permit.

Administering agency

Contact the Local Council

Contact details

Customer Service
Contact the Local Council


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.