Mining Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to carry out mining on specified land. The holder of the mining licence is entitled to carry out mining on the land covered by the licence, to explore for minerals and to construct facilities specified in the licence.

As of 1 March 2017, the use of coal-seam gas extraction via hydraulic fracturing ("fracking") is illegal. No applications may be made for this activity within Victoria.

A licence holder must pay rent in relation to the land that the mining licence covers. This licence extends to the sea bed and its subsoil within the territorial limits of Victorian water.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Information required in application for mining licence:

  • Name, address and contact details;
  • If the applicant is a company, then provide a list of the directors and copy of the certificate of registration of the company;
  • Area of land applied in hectares;
  • Attached map of 1:25,000 scale or larger of the land applied for;
  • Names and addresses of any owners of private land covered by the application;
  • If the land contains Crown Land, then all relevant documentation involving use of Crown Land for commercial purposes;
  • If the application includes land that is covered by an exploration, prospecting or retention licence, indicate who holds that licence and include a letter of consent.
  • The term required in years;
  • Estimated annual expenditure for the first five years;
  • Evidence of financial capability;
  • Names and qualifications of technical advisors;
  • Details of any previous experience mining activities;
  • Documentation to show that the applicant is a fit and proper person;
  • Details of the proposed work program; and
  • Preferred annual reporting date.

The land area must not exceed 260 hectares. Please note that a tenement may be required.


Ongoing requirements

It is required that you advertise the approval of the Mining Licence in the locality near where the licence was granted. This must be done with 14 days of being notified of the licences acceptance. It must be advertised in the newspaper and on an appropriate website.


The maximum term for a Mining Licence is 20 years. Licences can be renewed.



Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.


Change of conditions. Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.


Other fees will apply. Please consult the responsible agency for more information.



Priority is allocated according to the day the application is received. However if there are competing applicants, priority is assigned after an assessment of merits of applications and ability to meet certain requirements.



Please submit this application in accordance to the approved procedure.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Act(s) name

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 (Victoria)

Underseas Mineral Resources Act 1963 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) (Mineral Industries) Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Energy and Earth Resources

Operating address:
Level 15
1 Spring Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Mailing address:
Earth Resources Information Centre
GPO BOX 2392
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


13 61 86

Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.