Packaged Liquor Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you operate a retail liquor store (bottle shop) or supermarket that sells packaged alcohol.

This licence authorises the holder to supply liquor in sealed containers, bottles or cans for consumption off the premises.

If you run a supermarket you may be required to set aside a separate area of the supermarket to function as the licensed premises. Alcohol can only be sold at normal supermarket checkouts if certain conditions are met.

Tastings may be held on the licensed premises during trading hours.

Ordinarily, you will only be able to sell alcohol during standard trading hours (9:00am to 11:00pm). The agency may authorise you to operate from 11:00pm to 1:00am or from 5:00am to 9:00pm. Licensees who wish to extend their hours past 1am will need to apply for a Late Night (Packaged Liquor) Licence.

Liquor must not be supplied on ANZAC day between 5am and 12noon.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a suitable person to run the business
  • have adequate knowledge of liquor licensing law
  • be at least 18 years old (if applying as an individual)
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence or BYO permit under the Act.

You must make an application to the agency by completing the application kit. Please provide any additional information requested by the Director and pay the prescribed fees.

Please note that any person who, at any time, has management or control of the licensed premises has to have completed a Responsible Serving of Alcohol (RSA) refresher course in the previous financial year.

Please review the Application Kit or contact Responsible Alcohol Victoria for further details.


Ongoing requirements

In most cases the agency will impose conditions upon granting the licence. You must comply with any conditions imposed, including the requirement to comply with the Code of Conduct for Packaged Liquor Licences.


12 months or from date granted until end of that calendar year.


31 December annually.



Fees for 2017-18.


Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Fees for 2017-18.


Fees for 2017-18.



Please submit your completed application together with all specified accompanying documentation referred to in the application kit directly with the Agency.

Once an application is received, and relevant checks and inquiries completed, a decision will be made by the Director of Liquor Licensing to either grant or refuse the application.


Each year in December a renewal form will be mailed to the licence holder.

Approval time

The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual circumstances.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Operating address:
49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 182 457


03 9651 3777


Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.