Licence to Store Explosives - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to store explosives. Requirements vary depending on the type of explosives, its hazard division, quantity involved, location of storage, and its intended use. There are two licence categories:

  • licence for medium scale storage
  • licence to store explosives in quantities above prescribed quantities (formerly known as the licence to store explosives at a magazine).
Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.
This licence may also authorise the holder to sell or import explosives. This licence is not required for:
  • authorised storage of explosives by a licensed explosives manufacturer, blaster or seller
  • storage of consumer fireworks below a certain quantity
  • industrial safety cartridges below a certain quantity
  • pyrotechnicians storing fireworks for the 14 days leading up to a display
  • the storage of safety or emergency systems or devices that are activated by explosives.
If you hold a Victorian licence to operate a major hazard facility, you do not require a licence to manufacture or store explosives. Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old if you are applying as an individual
  • provide all information required by the application form
  • have sufficient knowledge and understanding of explosives
  • pay the prescribed fee.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this approval that you abide by all industry legislation and codes of practice and any specific conditions on the approval. You must provide any relevant records and information as required by the authority, and you must notify the agency of any licence detail changes in writing before the event. You must remain a suitable person to hold the licence and have the safety management system maintained.

You must not store explosives unless they are packaged and marked in accordance with the Australian Explosives Code.


Up to 5 years.


ApplyApplication$250.00Medium-scale storage (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.
Application$500.00Above prescribed amounts (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.
RenewRenewal$250.00Medium-scale storage (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.

Above prescribed amounts (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.

VaryVariation$87.50Medium-scale storage (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.

Above prescribed amounts (per premises). Fees for 2016-17.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1555


1800 136 089

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.