Licence to Drive a Vehicle Transporting Explosives - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you drive a truck, van or other road vehicle and intend to transport explosives. This licence applies only to the driver of the vehicle, and relates to the operating standards, experience, and expectations of road vehicle drivers.

Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.

A licence is not required to transport small quantities of explosives or fireworks (an amount below the prescribed maximum quantity) if you either:

  • hold a licence to sell explosives
  • hold a licence to use blasting explosives
  • hold a licence to use fireworks
  • are transporting hazard or distress signals
  • are transporting consumer fireworks for your own use
  • will be transporting the explosives over private property only, and not by road.

Every vehicle used in the transport of explosives is also required to be licensed.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • submit an application form
  • be at least 21 years old
  • must meet the 'Suitable Person' criteria
  • have held a driver's licence for at least 12 months
  • undertake an explosives vehicle driver training course with an Approved Training Provider
  • have at least 12 months of experience driving road vehicles of the class in which the explosives will be transported
  • have adequate knowledge of explosives, their transport and delivery methods, and any relevant industry standards and the Code
  • be certified as medically fit to drive a road vehicle transporting explosives registered medical practitioner
  • pay the prescribed fee.

You may be refused of a licence if you have been found guilty of an offence that makes you unsuitable to transport explosives, or have had your driver's licence revoked or suspended within the past five years.

Separate licensing requirements may apply if you intend to deal further with the explosive materials other than in their transportation.

Special approval is required to transport explosives of Hazard Division 1.1A.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this approval that you abide by all industry legislation and codes of practice and any specific conditions on the approval.

Your obligations include:

  • compliance with the Australian Explosives Code
  • providing relevant records and information as required by the responsible Agency
  • carrying the licence with you when you are transporting explosives
  • meeting medical fitness certification requirements.

Travel restrictions apply to certain road usage, for example certain explosives cannot be transported within the Melbourne CBD and on certain approach roads without the approval of the responsible Agency.


Up to 3 years.



Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.



Please ensure you include all the required documentation with your application, as detailed on the application documents.



Please lodge your application and associated documentation directly with the Licensing Branch at Worksafe Victoria.

Approval time

Within 30 days.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) Regulations 2008 (Victoria)

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1555


1800 136 089

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.