Certificate of Consent for Owner-Builders - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this certificate if you are an owner-builder and intend to carry out domestic building works that will cost more than $12,000 and that require an application to your local government for a building permit.

An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building or other structure on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building. Owner-builders take on many of the responsibilities of a builder. Depending on the circumstances, these may include:

  • obtaining all permits required
  • supervising building work and/or carrying out the work themselves
  • ensuring the work meets relevant building regulations, standards and other laws
  • arranging for building inspections as required by law at particular stages of the building work
  • obtaining an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection from the relevant building surveyor on completion of work.

As an owner-builder, you may undertake all or part of the building work yourself, (except in areas that require licensed tradespeople such as electricians and plumbers), and/or contract out part of the work to building practitioners or tradespeople.

Obtaining this Certificate of Consent is not a guarantee that you will be issued with a building permit by your local government authority. A relevant building surveyor will still need to assess the application for a building permit and ensure that the proposed building work will comply with the building regulations.

All certificates are now managed by the VBA eToolbox website. You must register with this site before you are able to access the required information and forms. Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this certificate, you must:

  • complete the application form
  • provide a signed statutory declaration confirming that you have read the information statement published by the Agency
  • submit the completed application form to the Agency, together with any supporting documents from the relevant Council, building surveyor and/or others
  • pay the prescribed application fee.

The Agency will only grant this certificate if:

  • the building work you are carrying out relates to a single dwelling
  • you intend live in the completed dwelling
  • you do not run a building business.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

If you sell your owner-built home within six and a half years after the domestic building work has been completed, you must:

  • ensure that the contract of sale sets out the compulsory statutory warranties that you are required to give the home buyer
  • obtain a defects report on the domestic building work prepared by a prescribed building practitioner. The report must not be older than six months
  • obtain owner-builder domestic building insurance covering the domestic building work (if within six years of completion).


5 years.



Fees for 2016-17.

Other resources

Comply Owner Builders Checklist Opens in a new browser window



You must submit your application in the approved form along with the signed statutory declaration and the prescribed fee to the agency.

Administering agency

Victorian Building Authority

Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Contact details

Victorian Building Authority

Operating address:
Goods Shed North
733 Bourke Street
Docklands, Victoria 3008
Mailing address:
PO BOX 536
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 815 127


03 9618 9062

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.