You will require this licence if you intend to perform particular activities relating to fishing. An access licence may allow you to:
- take specified fish or fishing bait for sale
- receive fish
- possess and use specified commercial fishing or commercial abalone equipment
- possess commercial fishing or commercial abalone equipment generally
- do other fishery activities on a commercial basis using boats and other resources in particular places.
There are many classes of commercial access fishery licences, including:
- giant crab
- rock lobster
- sea urchin
Restrictions apply on the number of commercial access fishery licences issued in specified classes and not all licences are transferable.
Heavy penalties apply for non-compliance with licence conditions and the agency may vary, revoke or suspend any licence.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for one of these licences you must:
- be an Australian resident;
- be an individual, a single corporation or a co-operative (partnerships or consortiums are not eligible to apply);
- make an application in the required form;
- be a fit and proper person; and
- pay any required fees (including any royalties and levies where applicable).
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
1 to 5 years.
Fees will vary according to the catch and location. Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
Please lodge your application form, and any other associated documents directly with the Agency.
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Fisheries Act 1995 (Victoria)
Fisheries Regulations 2009 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon