Club Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to use a historic vehicle (more than 25 years old), and do not need full vehicle registration. The Victorian Club Permit scheme allows members of car clubs (including motorcycle, trailer / caravan and machinery clubs) that are recognised by the agency to make use of historic vehicles on the road network for a limited number of days per year.

Permits are available for:

  • veteran vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1919
  • vintage vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
  • classic and Historic vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.

These categories can include trailers and modified vehicles such as street rods. Vehicles which are replicas of vehicles in the above mentioned categories may also be issued with a club permit.

Club Permit vehicles can be used at any time for any purpose other than for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.

Financial members of approved clubs are able to apply for either a 45 or 90 day permit at one time, depending on how much they expect to use their vehicles. However, no-one is able to have a Club Permit for longer than 90 days in each 12 month registration period.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Applicants must be a member of a car club (including motorcycle, trailer / caravan and machinery clubs) that is recognised by VicRoads. To apply for a Club Permit you will need to complete the application form and submit it together with either:

  • written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
  • in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
  • in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by the Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF), Technical Advisory Committee. Club scrutineers can assist in this requirement.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Ongoing requirements

A logbook is issued to permit holders to record the use of the vehicle over the permit period. A log book entry must be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address). A logbook must be carried in the vehicle, or on the rider in the case of motorcycles, at all times the vehicle is in use.


12 months.



45 days. Fees for 2016-17.


90 days. Fees for 2016-17.


Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Act(s) name

Road Safety Act 1986 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Operating address:
PO BOX 1644
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Operating address:
60 Denmark Street
Victoria 3101


13 11 71


03 8391 3216

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.