Restaurant and Cafe Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you operate a business that serves food, such as a restaurant or cafe, and you intend to serve alcohol.

In order to hold this type of licence, your main business activity must be the preparation and serving of meals for consumption on the premises. You may only serve alcohol during ordinary trading hours (9:00am-11:00pm).

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a suitable person to apply for a liquor licence
  • have adequate knowledge of liquor licensing law
  • be at least 18 years old, if you are applying as an individual
  • not be currently disqualified from holding a liquor licence or BYO Permit
  • ensure that the main business activity undertaken at your premises is preparing and serving meals to patrons at the premises.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

In most cases the agency will impose conditions upon granting the licence. You must comply with any conditions imposed.

All licences are subject to the following conditions:

  • meals must be offered at the premises at all times
  • licensees must ensure tables and chairs are available for at least 75 per cent of patrons attending the premises at any one time
  • the licensee must not permit the live performance of music or the playing of recorded music on the premises at higher than background level at any time outside ordinary trading hours (unless the music is part of a private function)
  • if the licence is held by a corporation or other organisation, each director of the organisation must be approved by the agency
  • tables and chairs must be available to at least 75% of the patrons attending the premises
  • providing free drinking water patrons.


ApplyApplication$461.30Fees for 2017-18.

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Fees for 2017-18.


Fees for 2017-18.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Operating address:
49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 182 457


03 9651 3777


Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.