Crown Land Water Frontage Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to use water frontage on Crown Land. Crown water frontage is any land that runs along any rivers or streams owned by the Crown for certain activities.

Activities include:

  • enter land that is in the process of being reclaimed or cultivated
  • disturb, destroy or interfere with animal habitats (including bird nests)
  • destroy, damage or interfere with infrastructure (including fences and signs)
  • destroy, damage, remove or interfere with any flora (dead or alive)
  • remove, damage or interfere with any land or soil\
  • light a fire
  • bring a dog onto any land
  • interfere with any livestock on the land.

Licences are issued only to an owner or occupier of adjoining land.

A licence over a Crown land water frontage provides personal permission to enter and use the land for a specified purpose and does not offer exclusive use to the licensee.

When a Crown land water frontage is licensed, the public retains the right to enter and remain on the land for passive recreational purposes, such as for walking, fishing, or bird watching. However, members of the public are not permitted to camp, light fires or carry firearms on the land.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • apply using the prescribed form
  • justify your application based on relevant site requirements
  • provide any information or documentation required by the Authority
  • pay the prescribed fee.


Up to 5 years.


ApplyApplication$122.64Fees for 2016-17.
Transfer$55.75Fees for 2016-17.
Duplicate Certificate$55.75Fees for 2016-17.



Application for Crown Land Water Frontage Licence - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Act(s) name

Land Act 1958 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Land Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Land Regulations 2016 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002

Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.