Acceptance of a Gas Appliance - Victoria

Service summary

You will require acceptance of the Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) for any appliance or class of appliance. ESV acceptance certification scheme ensures the safe design, installation and sale of Type A and Type B gas appliances in Victoria.

  • Type A is any appliance (including a second-hand appliance) for which an acceptance scheme has been authorised. Domestic and light commercial type appliances, such as cookers, space heaters, central heaters, water heaters, catering equipment and leisure appliances, are Type A appliances.
  • Type B appliance is any other appliance (including a second-hand appliance) with a gas consumption in excess of 10MJ/h, including any components and fittings downstream of and including the appliance manual shut-off valve. They are intended for use in manufacturing or industrial premises.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • apply using the prescribed form
  • provide all relevant and required information about the design and manufacture of appliance
  • have the required insurance and safety management systems in place
  • pay any required fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that every accepted gas appliance be subject to ongoing testing, and is required to have a data plate affixed to it, showing essential details (type of gas, energy consumption, etc). That data plate should show the Certificate Number.


As specified.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Application for Acceptance of a Gas Appliance - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.



You must lodge your application for appliances typically used in residential and light commercial settings with the Australian Gas Association. For other appliances, such as those for use in industrial or manufacturing premises, your application must be lodged with Energy Safe Victoria.

Administering agency

Energy Safe Victoria

Act(s) name

Gas Safety Act 1997 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Gas Safety (Gas Installation) Regulations 2008 (Victoria)

Contact details

Energy Safe Victoria

Operating address:
Level 5, Building 2
4 Riverside Quay
Southbank Victoria 3006
Mailing address:
PO Box 262
Collins Street West Victoria 8007


1800 652 563

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.