Water Share Application or Transfer - Victoria

Service summary

A water share authorises you to take water from a declared water system, including:

  • A waterway (including the River Murray);
  • An aquifer;
  • A spring or soak; and
  • A dam (except rainwater dams supplied from the roof of a building or from a waterway or bore).

It is illegal to take water from these sources without holding a water share. This does not apply to water taken from a spring, soak or dam for domestic and stock use.

A water share authorises you to take a specified amount of water (a water allocation) at a particular time (a water season). A water allocation is a fixed percentage of water in the dam or other water source in a given year. A water share may be subject to conditions about the times when you may take water, and the places you can take water from.

A water share is considered to be a piece of property that may be resold to another person independent from the land, mortgaged or transferred (leased) for a fixed period of time. However, the Agency's approval is required to transfer ownership or assign a water share.

From time to time water shares may also be made available for purchase from the Agency by application, or by auction or tender. However, to obtain a water share, generally you will have to purchase it from an existing entitlement holder.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

A new application for a water share must specify the proposed associated water system for the share.

Transfer applications must be approved by the responsible water corporation using the approved form. The transfer document must then be lodged with the Water Registrar.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Transfer Form 1 - Application for Approval to Transfer a Water Share Opens in a new browser window
Form 10 - Application for a Limited Term Transfer Opens in a new browser window
Statutory Declaration and Owner's Consent - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Water Share Application or Transfer - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Water (Resource Management) Regulations 2007 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.