You will require this registration if you intend to operate as a Domestic Builder. Domestic Builders are responsible for the construction of residential buildings. They may carry out, manage or arrange to carry out components of domestic building work.
There are three classes of registration for Domestic Builders:
- Unlimited: a Domestic Builder (unlimited) may personally carry out, manage or arrange for subcontractors to carry out all components of domestic building work. They may also examine clients' plans, tender for projects, submit plans to Building Surveyors for approval and organise inspections of building work.
- Manager: a Domestic Builder (manager) may manage or arrange for domestic builders registered in another class to carry out components of domestic building work specified in their Certificate of Registration. They are responsible for engaging only contractors who are registered in the appropriate class and code to carry out the component of building work for which they are engaged.
- Limited: a Domestic Builder (limited) may carry out, manage or arrange to carry out only the components of domestic building work specified in their Certificate of Registration.
There are a range of sub-categories for limited registration covering the following skill areas:
- general concreting
- site works involved in relocating a dwelling
- garage, carport
- door and window replacement / installation
- gates and fences
- external cladding to a home
- sub-floor works
- improvements to roof
- bathroom, kitchen or laundry renovations
- earthworks / excavation
- cabinet-making and joinery
- floor slabs, footings
- retaining walls
- sundry works
- swimming pools
- structural landscaping
- shade structures
You must register with the VBA eToolbox to access the required forms. Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To obtain a certificate of registration as a Domestic Builder you must:
- have the specified educational qualifications in the particular class plus the specified period of practical experience, or the equivalent total in work experience
- complete the application form and support the application with details of your training, professional memberships, business operations and in some categories, samples of work
- satisfy the agency that you are of good character and fit to work as a domestic builder (the Agency will take into account matters such as your criminal record, and whether you have previously been insolvent)
- have appropriate insurance (required insurance for building surveyors is determined by the Agency)
- provide a signed authorisation allowing the Agency to conduct a National Police Certificate check
- lodge the application form and supporting copy documentation, including photographic ID, with the agency together with the prescribed fee.
You will also require one of the following:
- Unlimited: Degree, Diploma or Associate Diploma in building and three years practical experience or successful completion of the Course in Builder Registration (BPB) and three years practical experience.
- Manager: certification by the Building Practitioners Board stating ability (including financial management) to manage or arrange the carrying out by a registered builder in another class of domestic builder of the components of domestic building work specified in the certificate.
- Limited: certification by the Building Practitioners Board stating ability to carry out, manage or arrange to carry out the components of domestic building work specified in the certificate.
The Agency may require you to undergo an assessment by a board member, industry expert or workplace assessor prior to your registration being approved. The assessment will cover your knowledge and skill in areas relevant to the practice of a domestic builder.
Ongoing registration is subject to satisfaction of specified requirements including industry training and standards compliance, as determined by the agency.
Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.
Domestic Builder Registration Application - Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
Victorian Building Authority
Building Act 1993 (Victoria)
Building Regulations 2006 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon