Vehicle Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to drive a vehicle on a public road. A vehicle must be licensed before you can drive it on a public road. You will also require a driver's licence that authorises you to drive the type of vehicle you intend to use.

A licence is also required for trailers and caravans. A licence is not required for:

  • An agricultural implement being towed on a road by a licensed vehicle;
  • A motorised vehicle (for example an electric wheelchair or ride on lawnmower) designed to be incapable of exceeding 10 kilometres per hour;
  • A single or two-wheeled electric personal transporter that is designed to not be capable of exceeding 10 kilometres per hour and which is only used in a designated electronic personal transporter area; or
  • A power assisted pedal cycle.

If your vehicle licence has expired, or you want to license an imported vehicle, you may need to get the vehicle examined first. Once the vehicle is licensed a new set of number plates will be issued. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old (for a heavy vehicle), or 16 years old (for any other vehicle);
  • Keep your vehicle primarily in Western Australia;
  • Ensure that your vehicle meets the prescribed standards and requirements;
  • Pay any required fees; and
  • Submit the required forms.

You may also be required to have your vehicle examined by an authorised vehicle examiner. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the licence.



Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.



You must submit your completed application along with your proof of age and identity in person.

Administering agency

Department of Transport
Transport Services
Driver and Vehicle Services

Act(s) name

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 2014 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Enquiries, Vehicle Licensing
Department of Transport
Transport Services
Driver and Vehicle Services

Operating address:
Tassels Place
Western Australia 6018


13 11 56


08 6551 6001

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.