Security Risk Substances Transport Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to conduct a business that involves transporting a security risk substance (SRS) on a road that is open to the public, or by rail. This includes a testing laboratory at which SRS is used. An SRS is a substance that contains more that 45% ammonium nitrate unless it is an explosive or an aqueous solution. This licence is an umbrella licence that covers one or more vehicles used in the transport of the SRS.

You may not require this licence if:

  • You hold a current interstate SRS transport licence;
  • You hold a SRS Fertiliser Licence;
  • You hold a Shotfiring Licence;
  • You hold an Explosives Manufacture (MPU) Licence;
  • You are an employee of the holder of an SRS Transport licence;
  • You control, manage, or are employed in, a commercial laboratory and the quantity being transported is less than 3kg; or
  • You are employed by an education institution or government organisation and the quantity being transported is less than 3kg.

If you intend to transport SRS in a receptacle in quantities greater than 500 litres or 500 kilograms you will instead require a dangerous goods vehicle licence.

Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be 21 years of age or over;
  • Hold a current Dangerous Goods Security Card;
  • Demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the SRS;
  • Have developed and be able to apply a security plan;
  • Submit the required form; and
  • Pay the required fee.

If you are applying as a body corporate or partnership the application must include, in addition to documentation detailed above, the following:

  • Evidence that at least one individual who is concerned in the management of, or employed by the body or partnership, holds a current Dangerous Goods Security Card or mutually recognised security clearance, and is responsible for the safety and security of the security risk substances covered by the licence; and
  • Evidence of the existence of the body corporate or a partnership, including statutory declarations from all partners.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety
Dangerous Goods Safety and Licensing

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.