Permission to Erect or Alter a Fence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this approval if you intend to erect a fence which does not meet the specifications contained in Schedule 1 of the Local Law Relating to Fences.

You will also require the written approval of the Council if you intend to construct or repair a fence with used materials or with any materials other than: brick, concrete, masonry, wrought iron, tubular steel, link mesh, wire, timber, thatched brush-wood, fibrosheeting or any colorbond sheeting.

A building licence or planning approval may be required in certain circumstances.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on permit.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.



Permission to Erect or Alter a Fence - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Administering agency

City of Melville

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1995 (Western Australia)

Local law(s) name

Local Law Relating to Fences 1983

Contact details

Building Officer
City of Melville

Operating address:
10 Almondbury Road
WA 6154
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 1
WA 6954


1300 635 845


08 9364 0666


08 9364 0285


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.