Fireworks Operator Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to operate fireworks or initiate firecracker chains at ceremonial occasions. This licence will authorise you to do the following

  • possess, set up and initiate outdoor fireworks at a display covered under a Fireworks Event Permit while under the employ or supervision of a licensed fireworks contractor
  • initiate firecracker chains at ceremonial occasions under a Ceremonial Fireworks Notice provided to Police and the Local Council
  • initiate indoor fireworks under a permit issued by the Fire and Emergency Services Authority of Western Australia.

This licence will not authorise you to purchase fireworks or make an application for a Fireworks Event Permit. It does allow you to transport certain fireworks by road in limited circumstances. The Agency will place an endorsement on your licence based on your level of experience, skill and knowledge of outdoor fireworks. The endorsement will determine the level of fireworks operations you are authorised to undertake.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • 18 years of age or over;
  • Hold a current Dangerous Goods Security Card;
  • Have a legitimate reason for handling fireworks;
  • Have satisfactorily completed an approved course of training as a fireworks operator, or possess equivalent competencies acceptable to the Agency;
  • Be physically able to carry out the duties required of a fireworks operator;
  • Have demonstrated knowledge of the applicable laws and code of practice, the requirements of an explosives management plan, safe handling of fireworks and emergency procedures;
  • Submit the required form; and
  • Pay the required fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.