Hotel / Tavern / Small Bar Liquor Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to sell or supply alcohol in a hotel, tavern or small bar.

You can apply for a hotel licence if you provide accommodation at your premises. Both regular and restricted hotel licences are available. Both licences allow you to sell alcohol for consumption on and off your premises, but a restricted licence limits the sale of takeaway alcohol to hotel lodgers only.

You can apply for a tavern licence if you intend to sell alcohol on your premises. You do not need to provide accommodation. Both unrestricted and restricted tavern licences are available. Both allow you to sell alcohol for consumption on your premises, but you can only sell takeaway alcohol with an unrestricted licence.

You can apply for a small bar licence if you intend to sell alcohol for consumption on your premises to a maximum of 120 people at any one time.

Please be aware that trading hours are restricted for some of these licences.

Applications may be made as:

  • an individual person
  • a director representing a company
  • two or more individual people or companies jointly
  • an association.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • demonstrate that the application is in the public interest, having regard to the likely health and social impacts on the community and sub-groups within the community
  • demonstrate that the position, nature and standard of the premises are suitable
  • submit the required forms
  • pay the prescribed fee.

For a full list of items that must be submitted with your application please see the attached documents. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Indefinite subject to retaining the same premises and paying the annual licence fee.



For the initial application, the licence fee is charged at a pro-rata rate.


Other fees may apply, including probity fee for each individual.

Administering agency

Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Act 1988 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Regulations 1989 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor

Operating address:
Gordon Stephenson House
Level 2
140 William Street
Perth, Western Australia 6000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 6119
East Perth, Western Australia 6892

Toll Free:

1800 634 541


08 6551 4888


08 9325 1041

Contact us website:

Online Form Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.