Working with Children Check - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this check if you intend to engage in paid, unpaid or volunteer work with children in Western Australia. The check is a comprehensive criminal record check that aims to increase the safety of children in our community by helping to prevent people who have a criminal history that indicates they may harm children from working with children.

You are in child-related work if the usual duties of your work involve, or are likely to involve, contact with a child in connection with one of the following categories:

  • A child care service, community kindergarten, baby sitting, child minding service or other educational institution for children;
  • A coaching or private tuition service of any kind, but not including an informal arrangement entered into for private or domestic purposes;
  • An arrangement for the accommodation or care of children, whether in a residential facility or private residence, but not including an informal arrangement made by a parent of the child concerned or accommodation or care provided by a relative of the child;
  • A state care placement arrangement or role as a child services officer;
  • A community child health service or counselling or other support service;
  • A detention centre;
  • A religious organisation or a club, association or movement with a significant membership or involvement of children;
  • A ward of a public or private hospital in which children are ordinarily patients;
  • An overnight camp, regardless of the type of accommodation or how many children are involved;
  • A transport service specifically for children;
  • A school crossing service; or
  • A children's entertainment or party service.

Please note that you may not require this licence if your work only involves contact with children because you are that child's employer or co-worker.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • Provide proof of identification;
  • Complete the required forms, including having your future employer / volunteer coordinator sign the forms; and
  • Pay any applicable fees.

The approval will involve a risk assessment and you may be contacted directly and asked to provide further information.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Expires after three years. You will then need to reapply to continue in child-related work.



Self-employed and paid workers


Volunteers and unpaid workers

GeneralDuplicate Certificate$11.00


Apply Application Process for Interstate Employees and Volunteers - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Application for Working with Children Check - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.



Applications must be submitted and paid for in person at an authorised Australia Post outlet.

Approval time

Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for your application to be processed.

Administering agency

Department for Child Protection and Family Support
Working with Children Screening Unit

Act(s) name

Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Regulations 2005 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Department for Child Protection and Family Support
Working with Children Screening Unit

Mailing address:
PO BOX 1262
West Perth, Western Australia 6872




08 62178100


08 92216345

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.