Dangerous Goods Site Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to store or handle dangerous goods. An extensive list of products that constitute dangerous goods can be obtained from the Agency, but broadly include gases, liquids and other substances that are flammable, explosive, toxic or radioactive. For each substance there is a specified manifest quantity, beyond which this licence is required.

There are exceptions and this licence may not be required if the dangerous goods are stored in more than one storage area on the site and the quantity stored in each is less than the maximum quantity allowable. Additionally you are only required to notify the Agency rather than apply for a licence if:

  • the dangerous goods are intended to be stored or handled at the site for not more than six months
  • the quantity of the dangerous goods does not exceed three times the manifest quantity
  • the site is not a major hazard facility
  • you have undertaken a risk assessment in relation to the dangerous goods site
  • you have notified the Chief Officer in writing of the operator's intention to store or handle the dangerous goods at the site
  • you have complied with any directions given to the operator by the Chief Officer in relation to the storage or handling of the dangerous goods.

Please note that the Agency strongly advise you to contact an approved consultant and work with them to have your application developed. The consultant may lodge your application on your behalf. When you have a consultant endorse your proposal as complying with the regulations, the Resources Safety examination fee is waived.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • provide a location plan showing the position of the dangerous goods site relative to any roads, railway and buildings
  • provide a draft of the manifest and site plan
  • provide a written report demonstrating that the dangerous goods site can be operated in accordance with the regulations and with minimal risk
  • submit the required forms and accompanying documentation
  • pay the relevant fees.

An application by a body corporate or a partnership must nominate an authorised person who will be responsible for the safety and security of the explosives possessed under the licence. That person must possess a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card and be involved in the management of, or employed by, the body or partnership.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



$199 (Up to 50 000 kilograms / Litre) or $662 (more than 50 000 kilograms / Litre). Please note that additional fees will apply if the written report provided with your application is not by an approved person.


Annual fee: $199 (Up to 50 000 kilograms / Litre) or $662 (more than 50 000 kilograms / Litre).



Please note that assessment time for applications submitted to Resources Safety without accredited consultant endorsement is approximately three months and additional fees apply. If your submission is deficient, the processing time may be increased.

Approval time

3 months.

Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Storage and Handling of Non-explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.