You will need this licence if you are an adult and you intend to own, possess, sell or use a firearm. There are 5 categories of licence:
- Category A: an air rifle, rim-fire rifle (other than self-loading), a shotgun (other than pump action or self-loading) and any shotgun and rim-fire rifle combinations
- Category B: a muzzle-loading firearm, centre-fire rifle (other than self-loading), and shotgun and centre-fire rifle combinations
- Category C: only available to primary producers, people employed or engaged in primary production, or bona fide firearms collectors (subject to certain conditions)
- Category D: only available to professional shooters whose principal occupation is the controlling of vertebrate pest animals, or bona fide firearms collectors (subject to certain conditions)
- Category H: pistols are only available to members of pistol clubs, persons employed as firearms dealers, security guards and security agents, or a bona fide firearms collector (subject to certain conditions).
It is possible to apply for a licence under more than one category if a genuine reason can be demonstrated for each category.