Approval of Unit Title - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this approval if you intend to subdivide a parcel of land for:

  • class A or class B units
  • unit subsidiaries
  • common property.

Class A units are usually contained within the one building, such as an apartment block, and the titles are separated by walls and ceilings. Class B units are usually found at ground level and can be identified by the boundaries of the property on the land the unit sits on. Unit subsidiaries are areas that are contained in the title a person may own that are separate to the actual unit they purchase (for example, a car parking space).

This approval only applies if the remaining term of the parcel's lease is at least 50 years. An approval may provide for development of all or some of the units and unit subsidiaries - this is referred to as a staged development. If you plan to make any amendments to your unit title application that provides for staged development, then you must apply for approval to do so.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • provide a unit title assessment report, undertaken by a works assessor or a building surveyor, that is not more than 3 months old
  • provide a plan prepared by a registered surveyor
  • provide a development statement (for staged developments)
  • show that all proposed class A units are a part of a building, with boundaries defined by reference to the floors, walls and ceilings of the building
  • show that all proposed class B units are land that has boundaries unlimited in height except to the extent of any encroachment at, above or below ground level by another part of the parcel
  • show that all unit subsidiaries are buildings or parts of buildings
  • show that each unit, or proposed unit, is suitable for separate occupation
  • meet all legal requirements relating to insurance.

Please be advised that if more than one person will own units on the land an owners corporation must be formed. The members of the owners corporation are the owners of each of the units on the title. If any units are owned by more than one person, each part-owner is a member of the owners corporation.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Unit Titles Act 2001 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.