You will require this licence if you intend to remove or dispose of asbestos. There are two classes of asbestos removalists:
- Class A: licensees can handle, remove and dispose of asbestos in buildings
- Class B: licensees can handle, remove and dispose of only bonded asbestos in buildings.
Bonded asbestos is asbestos in a form where the asbestos fibres are held within another material (for example, cement) but does not include friable asbestos. Friable asbestos is asbestos, whether or not contained in other material, that is crumbly, dusty or powdery, or when dry can be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to powder by hand pressure. Examples of friable asbestos are sprayed asbestos coating or insulation, asbestos lagging, loose asbestos and in its raw form.
If you intend to conduct routine or minor maintenance or other similar work you may be exempt from this requirement.
Examples of routine or minor maintenance work that may be exempt include:
- Sealing, painting and coating for the purpose of maintaining the condition of non-friable asbestos
- Cleaning leaf litter from gutters of asbestos cement roofs
- Removing and disposing of small, isolated pieces you may find at your premises.
Please be aware that you are required to submit a notification of demolition work for all demolition work that you intend to undertake. You are also required to nominate a supervisor who shall be present whenever removalist work of this type is being conducted.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.