Asbestos Removalist Licence - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this licence if you intend to remove or dispose of asbestos. There are two classes of asbestos removalists:

  • Class A: licensees can handle, remove and dispose of asbestos in buildings
  • Class B: licensees can handle, remove and dispose of only bonded asbestos in buildings.

Bonded asbestos is asbestos in a form where the asbestos fibres are held within another material (for example, cement) but does not include friable asbestos. Friable asbestos is asbestos, whether or not contained in other material, that is crumbly, dusty or powdery, or when dry can be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to powder by hand pressure. Examples of friable asbestos are sprayed asbestos coating or insulation, asbestos lagging, loose asbestos and in its raw form.

If you intend to conduct routine or minor maintenance or other similar work you may be exempt from this requirement.

Examples of routine or minor maintenance work that may be exempt include:

  • Sealing, painting and coating for the purpose of maintaining the condition of non-friable asbestos
  • Cleaning leaf litter from gutters of asbestos cement roofs
  • Removing and disposing of small, isolated pieces you may find at your premises.

Please be aware that you are required to submit a notification of demolition work for all demolition work that you intend to undertake. You are also required to nominate a supervisor who shall be present whenever removalist work of this type is being conducted.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must provide sufficient identification as well as a declaration that states whether you have been convicted or found guilty of an offence in areas including:

  • Work health and safety (WHS)
  • Construction licensing
  • Disposal of hazardous waste.

You must also provide evidence that you have one or more competent persons able to supervise you who are:

  • Over 18 years of age
  • Appropriately qualified
  • Have at least three years of relevant industry experience.

If you hold a current equivalent licence in another Australian State or Territory, you may be eligible to apply for this registration under mutual recognition arrangements.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to three years.


As specified on the licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $430.00 Online application.
Apply Application All $473.00

Postal application.

Apply Licence All $1785.00

Five year licence fee Class A.

Apply Licence All $1662.00

Five year licence fee Class B.

Act(s) name

Work Health and Safety Act 2011 ACT

Regulation(s) name

Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 ACT

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

WorkSafe ACT

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

General Enquiries

WorkSafe ACT

Access Canberra

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Phone: 02 62073000
Fax: 02 62050336