Bore Work Licence - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this licence if you are an owner or occupier of land and you intend to undertake bore work in the Australian Capital Territory. Work covered by this licence includes, but is not limited to drilling, constructing, altering, plugging, backfilling or sealing off any hole, well excavation or other opening in the ground or underground that can be used to intercept or collect ground water or for the disposal of water or waste below the surface of the ground.

This licence will also be required if you intend to remove, replace, alter or repair the casing, lining or screen of the bore, as well as deepening the bore. It is issued to ensure the groundwater environment is protected, as well as to ensure you have the relevant skills to undertake the task.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Hold a water access entitlement for the volume of water at least equivalent to the licensed volume required
  • Lodge a completed application form
  • Pay any fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Up to three years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $166.70


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for a Bore Work Licence - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Act(s) name

Water Resources Act 2007 ACT

Regulation(s) name

Water Resources Regulation 2007 ACT


This licence is not transferable.

Administering agency

Environment and Planning Directorate


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Water Regulation Unit


Environment and Planning Directorate

Operating address: Dame Pattie Menzies House
16 Challis St
Australian Capital Territory 2602
Phone: 13 22 81
Phone: 02 6207 1923