Building Approval - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this approval if you intend to undertake building or development work in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Building or development work includes any construction, alteration, removal or demolition of any new or old building or structure. Building approval is required for most developments to ensure the building complies with building laws and standards. When granted this approval, the appointed building certifier completes the building commencement notice and work can begin. Please be aware that:

  • you will require this approval prior to the commencement of construction
  • the approval only relates to building work shown on the approved plans under the approval
  • you should obtain a development approval, if required, before obtaining this approval
  • exemptions to this approval exist for minor structures and may depend on such things as size, nature and type of work proposed.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must comply with the relevant industry and regulatory standards. You must also:

  • provide an estimate of the cost of the proposed building work
  • provide one electronic copy of the plans and, if required by the certifier, one paper copy
  • provide management plans for public safety if the project is carried out on, at or near a public space
  • provide a waste management plan if the related works involve the demolition or alteration (other than class 1, 2 or 10a building) of a building
  • provide an asbestos removal control plan if the property was erected before 1985 or if it is a class 1, 2 3 or 4 building
  • provide any associated development approvals and exemption notices
  • appoint a licensed building surveyor as your certifier
  • submit the application form and pay the relevant fees (your certifier will inform you)
  • employ a licensed builder (or become licensed as an owner-builder).

Please note that it is now a requirement for labourers and project builders to undertake an approved course in asbestos awareness. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for Building Approval - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on this document.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Building Approval (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Building (General) Regulation 2008 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Enquiries, Licensing Unit


Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate

Operating address: Ground Floor South, Dame Pattie Menzies House
16 Challis Street
Australian Capital Territory 2602
Mailing address: GPO BOX 158
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601