Building Licence - Australian Capital Territory


You will need a building licence if you intend to carry out commercial or residential building work. There are five classes of licence:

  • Class A (unlimited)
  • Class B (medium rise, up to 3 stories)
  • Class C (low rise, residential, up to 2 stories)
  • Class D (non-structural work)
  • Owner-Builder
  • Specialist Building Work (demolition of a building or installation of a swimming pool).

It is recommended that you contact the Agency prior to undertaking any building work.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • hold and provide evidence for an applicable insurance policy
  • have sufficient financial resources
  • have the applicable qualifications for your class of licence.


Up to 3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.


Act(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.