Certificate of Occupancy and Use - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this certificate if you intend to occupy a building after it has been constructed or altered. The purpose of this certificate is to demonstrate that the building wholly or substantially meets all relevant standards and is safe to be occupied.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Fees and Charges Booklet - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Building (General) Regulation 2008 Australian Capital Territory

Application process


Each application must be accompanied by:

  • a certificate of completion
  • a completed application form
  • a statement of the current or intended use of the building
  • a copy of the buildings current plans
  • the nominated fee.

Additional information

The building will need to be certified by a licensed building surveyor (or principal building surveyor if the building is over three storeys or 2000 square metres). Once work on your building has been competed to the satisfaction of your building certifier, they will issue you with a certificate of completion.

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Enquiries, Licensing Unit


Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate

Australian Capital Territory
Operating address: 16 Challis St
Australian Capital Territory 2602
Mailing address: GPO BOX 158
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6207 1923
Email: epdcustomerservices@act.gov.au
Website: Planning and Land Authority (Opens in new window)