Certificate of Regularisation for Government Buildings - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this certificate if you intend to occupy a building that was not issued with a certificate of occupancy or certificate of regularisation when it was constructed. The purpose of this certificate is to ensure ex-government buildings are fit to be occupied once the government sells them to a non-government person or organisation. This certificate applies to buildings constructed on land held by:

  • the Commonwealth
  • the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
  • another person under a lease from The Commonwealth.

If your application for this certificate is approved, you will be issued a certificate of regularisation that confirms the building is fit for the purpose you intend to use it for.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

An application for a certificate may be made by the government, or the intended tenant.

The building will need to be certified by a licensed building surveyor or principal building surveyor if the building is over three storeys or 2000 square metres.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the Agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Building Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Building (General) Regulation 2008 Australian Capital Territory

Application process


Each application must be accompanied by:

  • a completed application form
  • a statement of the current or intended use of the building
  • a copy of the buildings current plans
  • evidence that the fire brigade has been consulted
  • the nominated fee.

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate