You will be required to comply with this code if you intend to operate a pet store. The code sets standards for the care and management of all animals for sale and applies to companion animals, produce animals or food animals. The code does not cover animals for sale that are specified in the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals at Saleyards. The standard contains numerous requirements, including those regarding the:
- provision of accommodation and equipment to suit the physical and behavioural requirements of the animals
- protection from natural or artificial environmental conditions and humans
- amount of required space for the animal to exercise
- appropriate amounts of water and food for the animal's sustained good health
- protection from injury, disease, and distress
- level of maintenance required to ensure hygienic conditions are maintained.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.