Builder Licensing - Australian Capital Territory


You will need a building licence if you intend to carry out commercial or residential building work within the Australian Capital Territory. There are five classes of licence which each have the types of building work you are authorised to undertake and are subject to different qualification requirements and conditions. The classes of building licence are:

  • Class A (unlimited)
  • Class B (medium rise, up to 3 stories)
  • Class C (low rise, residential, up to 2 stories)
  • Class D (non-structural work)
  • Owner-Builder
  • Specialist Building Work (demolition of a building or installation of a swimming pool).

It is recommended that you contact the Agency prior to undertaking any building work within the ACT.

Please be aware that you must submit a building approval for all building projects and a notification of demolition work for all demolition work that you intend to undertake.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a builders licence you must:

  • hold and provide evidence for an applicable insurance policy
  • have sufficient financial resources
  • have the applicable qualifications for your class of licence.

In addition to the general requirements, you must comply with the individual conditions and requirement for your class of licence.


Up to 3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees listed in the attached resource. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Act(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.